Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hanging with the Prophets



Last P-day, our zone went on our tour of the city cemetery with Sister Winn. What a blast! Easily the funnest non-missionary part of my time thus far. Our tour guide was a man named Brother Smith, who is a retired church historian and now volunteers at the church history museums and library. He knew his stuff. We learned tons of stories about the prophets we visited and other prominent people in the church history, things that you just don't hear about in Sunday school class! I highly recommend visiting the cemetery, even if you don't have a tour guide. Just being there, where these great men and women lay buried, being ever so close to them...what an experience.


The weather is definitely summer weather. It is hot hot hot! Right now Elder Fifita and I are finding new people. The one investigator we had on date just doesn't want to change, too hooked to weed and smoking, and marriage with his girlfriend that he lives with is not an option right now, them and their families do not want it. Finding is definitely the hardest part of missionary work, especially here in Utah, and when the area you cover is very small. We're out of ideas, we need to rely on the Lord to show us where to go and be led by the spirit.

So, aside from the testimony, I hear Jimmer is a Sacramento King? I hope he does well to represent the LDS crowd. Serving with a Tongan companion is crazier than ever. He's like a big kid, I can't get mad at him for things, I just smile and he'll say, "I'm sorry man!" And I'll start laughing.

Last week my doctor check-up went well. Now I see them every 4 months, and will need an abdomen scan every other check-up, while still having a lung scan every time on account that the lungs are the likely place cancer would come back. So with that, I have two, maybe three check ups left at the Huntsman until my mission is over. If I do have a third, it will be right before I come home. I talked with a Jewish man in the waiting room for an hour there, that was exciting to hear his life story, and what that part of the world is like. I also conversed with an elderly man that grew up in Salt Lake, but was not a member of the church. At first he was stand offish, but he warmed up to me and he ended up being very polite as well. Cancer will do that, it's like an immediate bond between people.

I think it's Summer everywhere now in the country, I hope everyone enjoys it. Remember, wear sunscreen...trust me! Hahaha that tour left my forehead nice and red.

Love,

Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment