Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Transfers Time!

So this is the last week of the transfer, has it already been 5 weeks??? My guess is that Elder Burkard and I are staying together here in West Valley. President Winn I think is trying to keep missionaries in one area longer so that they get to know the area and members better. Who knows, I could be somewhere new in the valley come next week, but my gut is that Granger and I have a few things left to discover together. A little history about my area. We have the Bangerter clan here, the same that Governor Bangerter comes from, and whom Bangerter Highway is named after. Granger is also the home area to Pres. Eyring's father, Julie Beck (who's childhood home I walk past all the time) and another sister general authority...a Sister Thompson?? I don't know the women too very well, sorry all my sisters out there!
We're getting more investigators now, new move-ins and things like that. The weather has been great, walking is not such a workout anymore! Funny story for you all from this pass week: We go to knock on a man's door that one of the wards had asked us to check on, an in-active man who has not been assigned a home teacher. This man is heavily overweight, and tells us that he's not interested in home teachers, and coming back to church either, because his feet are all messed up and he can't get to the church building (Which is RIGHT across from the street from his apartment mind you!). He goes on telling us how he is depressed and he has medical bills to pay and life is so hard and woe is me! I tell him that I too have had my share of medical bills, and am a cancer survivor. He doesn't give it a second thought, he goes on talking about how bad life is and that nothing will fix it. We promise him that coming back to church will lift him of these burdens, but he says he tried that once before and that it didn't work, and with a winner attitude like his I am shocked that it didn't! Haha so any who, as we're walking away I am fed up, he talks about his med bills one last time and I turn around and tell him, "Oh really? You have a $1000 ambulance bill and a $700 hospital bill? I had $10,000 x-rays and pet scans, and $30,000 chemotherapy bills for each round of chemo I had...and I had 14 rounds!" Needless to say he was speechless. I felt good saying it, did it help him out in any way, probably not, but oh well :)
Well, I gotta get running, take care everyone and talk to you next week!
Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment