Monday, March 14, 2011

Six More Weeks of Nepali

I am still serving in the Nepali program. Elder Clerveau was transferred, and I am now with Elder Wilkinson. He was just serving in Wyoming, and is happy to be here in Salt Lake. He is from Tennessee, and is a convert to the church, he joined about a year 1/2 ago. I am now a district leader, and I truly am my mom. I have purchased all sorts of things for my trainings, it's going to be like primary class, a lot of fun! I am excited, this will be a good experience for me.
 
As far as our area, we have a hit some new speed bumps. Our main translator is now working at D.I, and is working more and more. Our afternoons have been slow, and we are at the point where we have to knock doors in our one ward we serve in, since we can't do much with the Nepali people. Also, there are many Nepali outside of our immediate area, who we would love to get to church, but with no Nepali branch yet, there are not enough service missionaries to help with rides, and since the local wards where these Nepali people live don't have translation available, we really don't know what to do with them. I'll have to talk with President Winn on this one. Elder Wilkinson and I are trying to learn more Nepali, we are going to start doing language study. Hopefully we can learn much and gain more of the trust from the Nepali, and become greater friends! I'm still excited to be here, but another transfer here would mean another 6 month area. I would be at my year mark with two of those, and I don't think I would like that. That's a long ways off though, so I'm just focusing on this transfer. Elder Wilkinson has not had many baptisms yet, and I want to do my best to give him tons!
 
At transfers we had our mission celebration for breaking those baptism records. We had Elders Clark and Franco of the seventy come talk to us. Apparently Elder Oaks was not available to come, but promised to come and speak to us in the next few months.
 
Perhaps the most interesting thing to happen this week was a dinner appointment with a member. The family just joined the church about a year ago. The father is a chill man, but the wife you can tell definitely used to be part of another church (meaning, the "hallelujah, praise je-SUS, southern preacher style...) My first question to her was about the earthquake in Japan and what's going on with that. Her response, "It's Jesus showing forth his power. The people don't pray and worship him, and so God is sending them and the world a message." WHAT!?! That opened a can of worms. She went on to give us a sermon about gospel related things, I felt like her kitchen had transformed into a chapel! It was one of the craziest conversations I've been a part of as a missionary. She then went on to look at each of us individually and tell us what we were hiding and needed to work on. She told Elder Wilkinson to be happy with who is he and have more confidence in himself. She then looked at me and said, "I haven't quite figured you out...but I got something, you want me to bring it out?" I thought, "Is she going to confess my sins for me? That's my job!" She said something about being myself and this and that. I just went with it, I didn't want to disagree and unleash the fire and brimstone. HA! She actually is a very cool lady, I had a good time with her.
 
I am so sorry I haven't sent any pictures. I've tried playing around with it here at the church library, but I would have to install new software and I don't think I could do that here! I'm trying to be as obedient as I can be, so I don't want to use a member's computer or have them do it for me. Ugh, so sorry, I'm trying to see where else we can email, but we don't have access to any church buildings with a family history center.
 
No baptisms too soon. We have some lined up for the end of March, and early April, but the man for March smokes and drinks, and the April ones we just met last night.
 
Elder Scotty Warczak

No comments:

Post a Comment