Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Week 1 in the Missionary Training Center

Why hello my dear family, today is Tuesday and I have almost been here a full week! My goodness gracious, there is sooooooo so much to absorb being a new missionary at the MTC, let me tell ya a little bit about what's been going on:
My companion is named Elder Orr, and he's from OOOOOOOOklahoma! He's around 6'2'', muscular kid, super awesome! Not to brag or anything BUT, our teaching skills rocks, and we definitely know how to work together. We're just two chill guys who know how to get things done! I'm district leader for my district, 12 guys in all, I guess I should have expected it when I introduced myself as the 21 year old that had cancer to the branch president. I'm sure he thought, "Oh yeah, this kid's got experience!" I guess if barfing my guts out for a year gives me experience, sure, sign me up to be DL! Haha no really, it's a really humbling experience, there's some guys who I think would be way better DL's than me.
So of the 12 elders in our district, 9 of us are going to Salt Lake, and 3 are going to Omaha, Nebraska. Everyone gets along great, no one is staying secluded or is shy to speak up! One of the Elders though kind of has an attitude and isn't the hardest worker, so in my kind loving DL voice I simply ask him to stay on track with his studying and the schedule, while really I just wanna scream "HEY BUCKO, FIGURE IT OUT!!!" Some of the missionaries too are just soooo wrapped up on the schedule and making sure we're on time or early to everything, and they NEED to know exactly what's going on every minute of the day. Now I'm not condemning them, being punctual and obedient are very important to an ELDER, but when it begins to sound like my three year old nephew (Shout out to ya Warren, LOVE YA!) consistently asking me a question, ya get how it can get annoying. I simply reply to them, "Don't worry about it, everything's going to be fine".
As for everything else, I am loving the MTC! Our teachers are amazing! Brother Bastian and Brother Bott. And teaching, oh my GOODNESS! I LOVE TEACHING! Elder Orr and I have been practicing a lot with fellow missionaries, and on Monday we got to teach the restoration lesson in a more "formal" setting. Our lesson went perfectly, and I quoted Joseph's first vision, "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head..." and holy spamoly! The Spirit hit me like WHAM!!!!! So yeah, don't worry Mom, your son is becoming more and more spiritually inclined with every passing day! I don't miss family, or friends, even with BYU being right down the street it's like whatever for me. To answer your question Mom, I think we are leaving the 30th, I'm not entirely sure why. I heard our new mission president gets in that last week of June, so maybe they want us to stay around and meet him??? Who knows, I'm not worried about it like some of the Elders are, I figure, "Hey, another week at the MTC, more time to prepare, noooo worries."
Things I would like:
Todd: A mariners shirt, i figure you'd be the dependable one to go to get this. I need to sport off my WA pride!
Mom and Dad: clock, check. watch, check. That's it for now, I'll let ya know if something else comes up!
Steph: Thanks for the sweet letter, it was nice to get my first letter as a missionary! Keep 'em coming!
Time is UP! Gotta go, we have devotional tonight. One week down, and loving every second of it!
Elder Warczak
(I figure I'll sign my letters as Elder Mom, we had a whole talk on respecting the title of Elder and yadayadayada!)

No comments:

Post a Comment