Thursday, July 8, 2010

HAZAAAH! MY FIRST BAPTISM ON DATE!

Soooo much has happened this past week. We just had zone conference yesterday, LOVED IT! There's a few changes happening on our mission and missions worldwide. The church is starting up this eight lesson thing to go with preach my gospel. They did their research and I guess they think it will help missionaries learn and teach faster and better. we'll get info on it soon. They're implementing it next june or july in the MTC's around the world. Also, in our mission zone conference will be quarterly, not once every transfer, so I only have seven more zone conferences! President Winn is amazing, simply the best. Before saying bye yesterday he said he wanted me to be the best missionary in the field, I promised I would be. Seriously, the SLC mission, I won't say what apostles and prophets have said about this mission, but MAN OH MAN! This truly is a special place, unlike any other mission in the world.
I have my first person on date for baptism, his name is Rico. He's the sweetest guy ever. Thirties, a recovering alcoholic, he wants to turn his life around by being baptized! His girlfriend is a less active member, but they went to the Oaker Mountain Temple open house and ever since he's set on getting married there. He's gonna adopt his girlfriend's three young daughters and they are getting married!!! He is soaking up everything we are teaching him, and is soooo so excited for baptism! He's set for the 24th so hopefully all goes well and it happens.
Still walking, still sweating like crazy, but still loving it. Utah...still don't quite understand this crazy place, but it's growing on me. I sometimes forget I'm here, and then we get on the freeway, or go up a hill, and I can see downtown and the U on the mountain and I'm like, "Oh yeah, I'm in Utah, I go to school 45 minutes THAT WAY!" It's surreal. I haven't received any mail yet, which I thought would make me upset, but honestly it hasn't. My companion is getting a ton, with him going home in a month and all, and I just laugh when he brings up packages and letters all for him. I really don't miss anything or anyone, I guess the only bummer thing is music, it's tough not listening to it or singing a song while your walking down the road if it's not mo-tab. I saw on a bus in downtown that Ben Folds was performing with the Utah symphony and I was like, "WHAAAAT!?" But other than that, it's all good. Just a heads up, mail gets delivered to us on Tuesday, so if baked goods or anything like that are coming my way, don't send them early on in the week, I'd hate for my first package to be a pile of goo :)
Last week when we went to the temple for the sealing was ridiculous! That was my first time doing temple work inside the SLC temple, that place is ginormous! It was a great experience. The Pioneer Day parade I hear that missionaries are allowed to go and see that, so I'm excited to see that. Wierd that a year ago I was in that thing sporting off the utah red. There's so many Ute fans around here in West Valley City, I don't tell people I go to BYU! I wish I spoke Spanish too, every other person I talk to is "lo siento, no hablo ingles, para awpwiehfhfuhgfnvvoirhg......." It's like "Come on! Learn English so I can talk to you!!!!" I guess that is my biggest thing I wish was different, there's sooo many spanish speaking people here! Well, I got nothing else, the days are busy, the days are long, but it's all good. Gotta write my weekly letter to the mission prez, adios (I'm at least picking up some spanish, so who knows, maybe I will speak it come two years from now!)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like scotty it doing Awesome! So good to hear how much enthusiasm he has in his voice! I love it!

    ReplyDelete