Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blessings for the Warczaks

Well well well, it seems that my missionary service is paying off for the rest of the family:
Steph wins 10,000 big ones (I feel like a should get a share of that, after all me being a missionary helped you win that! Haha) Mom gets her wallet and check book back, Dad gets this new position at work, my goodness! I guess Todd and Court have their blessings coming soon, can't wait to hear about them**. The days are getting beautiful here, the sky is blue yet it's still chilly outside, love it! The work is going well, we have two people on date for baptism on November 6th. Both are pretty solid, so I have faith both will go through with baptism, they both know the message we share is true.
My companion and I still get along, but it's getting a little tough to fully get a long with him. For instance, we taught this lesson, and it didn't go all too well. My companion would explain a principle and our investigator would be confused on it. I would then go over what my companion said and make sure the investigator understood it. I had to do this twice. Walking out we both agreed that lesson could have gone better, my companion then stated that I shouldn't go backwards in the lesson and say the same thing he just said, it confuses the investigator even more. Now inside I thought, "Don't put this on me, I had to do that because you did a terrible job explaining the principles of the lesson you taught and our investigator was confused!" But, remaining calm I simply said I felt things were not completely understood, and so before moving on I just wanted to make sure our investigator understood fully what was being said to him. Golly, it was a frustrating afternoon, I've only been out almost 5 months, but I already know the lessons and material sooo much better than he does. It's ok, I still love my companion, great kid, very nice, he'll get it together.
Transfers are in two weeks, I am hoping I get transferred. I am ready for a change, but will do my best if I am to stay here in West Valley. This past week a lot of people have called us seeking help. More often than not, it's help with financial things. A few occasions it was things like, "I need a pillow and blanket for the night, I have nothing. I need a blessing, can you come give one to me?" "I just need someone to talk to, I'm really lonely." At times I allowed myself to be frustrated by these things, saying to myself, "We're the missionaries, this is not our job..." but it dawned on me, this is EXACTLY my job! So often missionaries, including myself, get wrapped up in the idea that we are only to teach, that is our duty. Our duty is to build up the church, strengthen the members, bring others the true gospel, and remind those who already know of the restored gospel how wonderful it is and the blessings that come from being active in the church. We are to be like Christ, who, "went about doing good." It really humbled me to know that people, in time of need, think to call the missionaries. No matter how far off the path they have gone, when they hit rock bottom and need someone to turn to, they call the missionaries. We usually can't help them out too much, but we can point them in the right direction and get them in contact with the right people. I love serving people, I love the feeling I get when someone says "thank you" to me. That's the thing I want most out of my mission, charity for my fellow man. Christ-like love for everyone I meet in life, regardless of who they are, what they look like, or what they have done. So I guess staying another transfer in West Valley wouldn't be the end of the world, that would just mean the Lord still has people here that I need to help, and I guess I'll be nicer to my companion, even if I want to strangle him sometimes :)
Take care,
Elder Scotty

**Editor's note - Stephanie won 10K in Bravo's Top Chef Sweepstakes. Mama Warczak had her wallet stolen at church, but the entire contents were later found at a nearby park (minus $15), and Papa John is now a Community Liaison Officer. Woot.

**Did you notice he said "golly"?? haha, Elder Scotty is so funny to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment