Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Conference Weekend, Baby!


The picture is of some service we did for a member this past week. Elder Burkard and I stacked ALL of that hay, the other two elders came at the very end and helped out. My body was destroyed by it!

So I imagine you all want to hear about conference and how that was. Being a missionary here in Salt Lake, conference seemed to have much more meaning to me. We attended Saturday afternoon, but gave our tickets away for Sunday morning. We watched all the other sessions in the Joseph Smith building in the varsity theater. Comfy chairs, leg room, less crowded, and a big screen to watch...it's the best place to watch! I saw many friends from BYU. During one of the sessions in the theater I sat in front of a few boys from my ward last year and their "girlfriends?" and that was quite a surprise. Other people here and there, but the best surprise was seeing my friend Corey Wozniak from freshmen year! I saw my old scoutmaster, Rick Hjelm, who's now in the stake presidency back home in Lakewood, I truly love seeing and hearing from my Lakewood people! I also saw my younger sister Courtney and my brother Todd with his wife Jocelyn and their son. How nice it is to have family all around me!

My two favorite talks were from Saturday morning. Elder Holland and Christofferson really impressed me. With Elder Holland's talk, I was reminded that many people are sacrificing for me to be on a mission, and that many prayers are coming my way. I shouldn't waste any time that I am given to serve, and I need to be grateful for all the blessings and opportunities I have while serving my mission. From Elder Christofferson's address, I took away the steps I need to take to really devote my life to serving the Lord, and consecrate my life to him. I will be working on his 5 points the remainder of my mission and life.

Conference was much needed. I feel re-motivated and excited about missionary work. Our week is going to be a good one! Last night we had our marriage for Marcus and Annie, the couple that got their marriage license a while back with that service missionary we brought from the office. It was a small gathering of friends and family at the church with the bishop, it was wonderful. Marcus is set on getting baptized too, he wants to have an eternal family and be sealed to his family in the temple! Tonight we are meeting with a woman who has come to church the past 4 weeks in one of our wards. She wants to meet with us now and has said she has thought about baptism alot and feels she is ready to learn more and take that step. Elder Burkard and I received an email this week. Our mission president wants every companionship to achieve the "standard of excellence" for their key indicator goals every week. 1-3-5-8-3 (1 baptism and confirmation, 3 people on date for baptism, 5 investigators to church, 8 lessons taught with a member of the church present, and 3 new investigators) Crazy intense to achieve, but if President Winn says it's possible, I'll do it! President Winn told us in the email that we are two of the best missionaries, and we need to be hitting those numbers. I definitely do not want to let my president down, not after I promised him I would be the best missionary in the mission, no no no, not gonna do it! Hopefully I will be able to report in the next week or so that we have met the mark and our on track to keep those numbers weekly!

Today is a very gloomy day. Grey, cloudy, rain....and I am loving it! Perfect Washington fall weather and I couldn't be happier! Keep the faith everyone, much love.

Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment