Monday, November 22, 2010

Trials of the Mission

Wow. That's all I can say about this week. My mission president's wife called me on Sunday and told me to call my mother. That's never a good thing. My mother informed me that a dear friend of ours had past away unexpectedly. I was lost for words. I was at a member's home at the time, and so I was not going to allow myself to cry with them there. I have too much pride, I know that's not a good thing to have, but I'm glad I did in this instance. I had to change the subject and talk about something else with her to get my mind away from my friend. By far the hardest thing I have dealt with on my mission thus far. This man was my parent's age, and he was family to me.

We have many investigators right now, but few came to church on Sunday. We did everything we could to make sure they could go, to feel the spirit there and have a wonderful experience. Things were already a struggle, now with the death of my friend, the days have been longer and harder. I know where my friend is at and what he is doing, and that gives me comfort. I try really hard to not show the sorrow my heart feels at this time, and I think everyone is buying my cover-up. Again, I'm a prideful person, I'm working on it.
I really have nothing else to report on, life as a missionary goes on. I am just trying to keep a smile on my face and focus on the work the Lord has for me to do, I won't let this tragedy get me down. I'll take it and run! I will make my friend proud, I will become the man, husband, and father that he and my loved ones want me to become. I know that I am nothing, but with the Savior I can become everything and more.

Elder Scotty



**Here are the words Scotty sent to be read at the funeral of Cliff Aalona:

It's never a good thing when the mission president's wife calls you and tells you to call your mother. When my mother told me that everyone in the family was fine, my heart was lifted somewhat. When she said Cliff had passed away, to be completely honest, it felt as if a member of my family had died. Being at a church member's house at the time, it took everything in me to control my tears. Cliff is one of my dearest friends. I always enjoyed talking with the adults at church and at parties more than I did people my age, and Cliff was at the top of that list. Him and I would always go to the Lakes football games together. When I was going through chemotherapy, some of the happiest times of that ordeal for me was when Cliff would call me and say, "Hey! Wanna go to the game tonight?" I had actually been thinking this past week of the high school games, and knowing it was playoff time, thought, "That would be fun to go with my Dad and Cliff to the game and then go to some buffet afterward!" How we loved our buffets!

I do not want to repeat anything that has been or will be said. When I was pondering that night of what my mother had told me and the tears were rolling down my face, my mind turned to my Savior Jesus Christ. In the Book of Mormon, we read in Alma chapter 7 verses 11 and 12, "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."

I am mourning the lost of my friend, but because of my Lord and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, I will see him again. Because of my Savior I have a brightness of hope that someday I will be able to hug Cliff and tell him what an impact he had on my life. I wish I had more time with him, I wish I could have said goodbye to him, but I know Cliff will be with me the rest of my life helping me and my family. I love you Cliff. I will not let you down, I will become the man that I know you would want me to become. Aloha my dear friend. Until we meet again, aloha.

No comments:

Post a Comment