Monday, January 17, 2011

Miracle Week!

Silly me, we forgot it was Martin Luther King Day, and so every public place was closed for emailing. We are emailing at a family research library at a chapel. I didn't think I would need my camera today, but nope, should have brought it so I could send pictures!!! Dang!
 
Well, as you know we had our two Nepalis baptized last week. I thought that would be the last of them for a while, but lo and behold, Thursday night we were teaching part of this family that we thought would be good for baptism, but they said they would wait. As we are talking, all of a sudden the two oldest daughters in this family start nodding their head and go on talking with our translator for a few minutes. I didn't think anything of it, this happens a lot. Finally they stopped and our translator says, "They want to be baptized!" My response, "You fool, you misunderstood your own language." (Me of little faith!) But sure enough, they DID want to get baptized! When? "This Saturday." So we began calling all our ward leadership and other missionaries, and set up their baptism interviews and the baptism service. On Saturday Soni and Chunkhu Monger were baptized! Four Nepalis in two weekends, huzzah! Other Nepalis may soon follow, like the rest of the Monger family, the parents of the first two kids baptized a few weeks ago, and a new family that just got here that said they want to come to church and learn about Christ. Aside from the Nepali people, we have an English family in the ward. There are four boys in the family, all baptism age. Their parents had been inactive for years, but the dad started coming back to church with his boys about two months ago. The mom is slowly but surely getting back. She has word of wisdom issues, and has some hard feelings still towards a bishop who treated her poorly when she got pregnant at an early age, but she likes us and says things during lessons that sound an awfully like things a person with a testimony would say! The dad was only a deacon, but this Sunday was ordained to a priest. The dad will baptize all four boys on February 26th, they have a nephew getting back from his mission in Arkansas February 22nd, and they want him to do the confirmations. The Hulsey family is an amazing story, I cannot wait for the end of next month!
 
My companion and I still get along. Nothing else really to say. He's really into basketball and the NBA, me...not so much. I'm sure one of my future companions will be like a best friend to me, where we just click and both have the same desire to work hard. I am a stubborn person though, and tough to please, so maybe I just need to relax a little and I'll find more in common with people. If not, oh well, I'm here to build the foundation for the rest of my life and future posterity, I really don't care about mission reunions and being the "cool" Elder in the mission. I'm here to work people!
 
That's my week, two surprise baptisms, and a family taking the rights steps towards becoming a family forever in the temple. Transfers are already next Wednesday, by the end of next one conference will be just a few weeks away. Whoa. I imagine I will be in this area through conference, I don't think I will do another six month area though, at least I hope not, one of those was enough for me. Take care, and I love you all.
 
Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment