Monday, January 10, 2011

Stinkin Church History Library!

So I guess I can't send pictures from the Church Library, the software doesn't match up! I have some awesome pictures too! I will try and find a way around this problem. The issue is that we email from here every week, that or go to the Salt Lake Library, which is packed. Mama mia, what to do. The south salt lake stake is still great. We had two Nepali baptisms this weekend, a sister and brother. I think those will be our last Nepali converts for a while though, the rest of them are so set in their ways. They are very influenced by other Nepalis. One night we commit a family of six for baptism, and they say yes and they are on date for baptism. The next night we meet them and they tell us that they will, "wait for rest of family to come from Nepal." I'm not frustrated I'm not frustrated.....DAHHH!!! Our Nepali translators are members, and even they are annoyed by their people. It's sad, we do everything we can, but they just can't get past their Nepali traditions. Another excuse they use is that if they become Christian, they will go to the bottom of the caste systems (In Nepal, Christians are not looked well upon.) We try to explain to them, that they are in America, there is no caste system. Can't convince someone of anything though, they have to have that desire to change themselves. They still treat us very nicely. They feed us a lot, I am getting good at eating with my hands. a skill I hope to carry with me after the mission. Hahaha the language is still a problem, I still just know the basic phrases, it's a difficult language to pick up, they talk really fast. They understand Hindi, and watch a lot of Bollywood movies, to give you an idea of what their language is like. My clothes smell like curry, I'll need to make frequent trips to the dry cleaners! The white people are not doing so well either, all our English speaking investigators are avoiding us.
 
Other than that all is splendid. I still go downtown a lot, and it's fun to see things I knew before the mission. Like driving up 700 E, and seeing places like Hires Burger. My freshmen roommate Pete LOVES Hires, and so every time I see it I think of the times we went there as freshmen. The weather is cold, but nothing too bad. Many missionaries get the chance to meet apostles and church leaders, as for me, my luck hasn't been there yet. Today we went to the temple, as I left the changing room, Elder Oaks walked in and shook hands with many of the Elders, dang! Others get to meet them at stake conferences, or in the areas they serve. Elder Holland is a fellow-shipper for an investigator, so Elders get to teach lessons with an apostle sitting next to them! I hope I get a chance to do something like that, but if not oh well, the church is still true.
 
Love,
 
Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment