Monday, April 11, 2011

The Sun is Out...What?


Finally the sun is shining upon us here in Salt Lake! So what is new with the Nepali people, well, I'll tell you! All the ones we are working with are still forever away from the Haven ward, so rides are still an ongoing issue. We were able to get two cars for this Sunday, so we had 8 Nepali come to church, but it will be a challenge trying to make it an every week thing. I hope the process for a branch can speed up, because once the Nepali get one, watch out! Baptisms galore! Transfers are next Wednesday, I'm indifferent as to whether I stay or go, I'd hate to leave the Nepali in the hands of someone new, but then I have been there 4 1/2 months. Either way has it's positives and negatives.
 
I'm still enjoying being a district leader. I love weekly training and making posters, and singing primary songs. Everyone really has a good and uplifting time! This past week we had a baptism by technicality! An eight year old boy named Oscar, that my former companion and I taught a few times, was getting baptized. We taught him after dinner when we were at his grandma's house about baptism, because at the time he was only seven. The bishop did his interview, and went to check his mom's records downtown, but alas, they were not to be found! The mom is a very less active lady, and so wasn't too upset about it. Oscar has been talking about baptism forever! And he was going to be baptized with his best friend Juan! So with neither parent as a member of the church, "technically" Oscar needed to be handled as a convert. So bishop called us up, we set up the interview, and Oscar was baptized Saturday! A very bright kid, and he's very well known and loved in the Haven ward, where he comes to church with grandma. All these other Nepali we are teaching want to get baptized, so hopefully we have those happen in the next few weeks, as long as we can get them to church!
 
Our goal as a mission is 3,000 baptisms this year. As of the end of March, we had 760 baptism, 1/4 of 3,000 in the first quarter of the year. Right on track! It's exciting to be a part of it, last year the goal was 2,500, and we only had around 2,300. Our president has hit us hard with faith and using it, and expecting miracles to happen as we do our best to serve. Well, miracles are happening all around the mission, and I fully expect to hit over 3,000 baptisms this year. Who would of ever thought, 3,000 in a place like Salt Lake City, Utah!?! It's going to happen, this is my only full year as a missionary, I don't want to miss this! Everything else is going well, no crazy stories to share. I ate at Moochies again this past week, those Philly sandwiches still blow my mind! The cool black woman I told you all about a few weeks back got up and spoke in church on Sunday, and the entire time I felt like a "HALLELUJAH" or "PRAISE JESUS" was going to be yelled over the pulpit! Sadly my aspirations did not take fruition, but it was still a sight to hear and see nonetheless!
 
More of my friends have entered the bonds of marriage as of recently. At the top of that list would be my dear dear friend, Sean Harvey, who served his mission in my forefather's land of Poland. Hey Sean, when I'm done, it's you, your wife, me, and a girl yet to be chosen, going on a road trip to see Dave Matthews in concert!!!!
 
Love you all, the church is true
 
Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment