Thursday, August 11, 2011

Three Weeks of Baptisms

Vicky and I, sorry for the terrible lighting. She has been working with missionaries since October. I've known her since my first week in the area. I'm blessed to have been the one to help the Savior in bringing Vicky back unto Him

Now that our solid investigators have been baptized these last few weeks. We're back to finding. Names we've received haven't turned out to anything. As far as our numbers for the week, we didn't have a great week. We went by all the bishops last night, and our starting from the ground up. We have some new referrals and things to check, so I hope to be baptizing again soon.

The workout with the bike continues. Down to 182. There's this bridge going over the freeway in my area, that we ride over a few times a day. It's a good climb. Every time I start climbing it I start singing Mulan's "I'll Make A Man Out Of You". It makes all the difference. I've incorporated it into everything I do. Sometimes I want to quit, like Mulan and the rest of the gang, but as I keep pushing, I eventually overcome all the obstacles in my way. Isn't Disney great!? Why Disney songs are not approved for all missionaries is beyond me! Come on Mormon Tabernacle Choir, let's get the Disney ball rolling!

The week has been a difficult one as far as all the people we have talked to. It KILLS me when I can't help someone. So many see us and come running up to us in tears, with financial, drug, and family problems, and all I can do is say a prayer with them. I don't know who or where these people can go for temporal help. Obviously Christ is what everyone needs in their lives, but man, the world today does a good job of covering up the need for God in our lives today. People get mad at us, cry even more, or are kind and express gratitude for us for at least listening to them and saying a prayer with them. Here in Salt Lake, everyone knows who we are and who we represent. It never gets easy being under everyone's gaze. I thought being popular was all good and fun in high school and at BYU...but I don't really care for it anymore. As long as people can see Christ in me as they're watching me, that's all that matters. I wish I could see Christ's day. What it must have been like for Him to be the center of attention. People wanting everything from Him, people plotting ways to destroy Him as they watched like hawks to see if He would make a mistake, others too afraid to approach Him out of shame or fear of His power. When He atoned for us and died. The lonely journey in the garden, to the hill and be crucified, to have the spirit withdraw from Him for a time. I can never fully understand that, but I think serving here in Salt Lake  I can begin to imagine what His every day life was like. It's hard to have everyone see you and know what you're all about, or claim to be anyways.

I appreciate it all. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Love,

Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment