Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's Been a Long Week

So! With transfers this past week, not a whole lot happened. We're at the point where all of our investigators are getting baptized, and we need to find new ones. The first couple of days were slow, not much to do. We're getting more referrals now and appointments with new people, so things should be picking up. This Saturday we have three baptisms!!!! I'm so pumped! Sam is getting baptized at 10AM, Ben at 1pm, and Pamela at 5pm, a full day of baptisms! I'll for sure be sending tons of pictures next week. Then next Saturday, the 28th, we have two baptisms for sure. A woman named Shelly, and a girl named Daisy.

This week my zone had the opportunity to do service in the temple. We were down in the basements cleaning out storage and putting old furniture and things like that away. Afterwards we got a little tour with the guy we were helping. He took us to see the foundation of the temple, the original stones, that was way sweet. He then took us to the 5th floor, the solemn assembly room! This is the room that has the round and rectangle windows you see from the outside. Solemn assembly is where the general authorities of the church meet and hold special meetings. This room is enormous! We all sat where the apostles sat, some Elders sat where President Monson does, I didn't dare do that, I felt like lightning would strike me or something :) We also got to see the desk where James Talmage wrote "Jesus the Christ", it was exhilarating, (Ok, so it was just a really old looking desk, but still cool!)

This Friday night Elder Burkard and I are going to the Joseph Smith movie with Ben and his brother and sister-in-law. I absolutely love ending my night seeing that film at temple square! We always see the 7:30 showing, and it works out perfectly. Our investigators usually come out crying, saying that it was such a spiritual experience that they loved. I expect Ben to be the same, he's so solid. He knows the church is true, he reads non-stop from the Book of Mormon, he's doing a complete 180! He use to smoke and drink heavily, and he's done with both of those. He even said, "I've never been more sure about anything" in regards to his decision to be baptized and become a member of the church. It's still blows my mind that I'm in Utah, being so close to a lot of family and friends, but I know this is the place where I'm suppose to be. There's so much opposition here in SLC, Satan is trying so much harder here than anywhere else, but there are so many good people here ready to find the truth, which is why we continue to be the highest baptizing mission in the world. I'm truly humbled to be able to be here where the church headquarters and leaders are, I still feel somewhat inadequate when I stop and think about it. I got many letters from friends this week, even though I try to act like I don't miss people, I do. I still have a long ways to go, but when I remind myself that after this transfer I'll have four months under my belt, it blows my mind. The mission is going so fast, I need it to slow down!

I wish I had some good stories from this week to share, along with some pictures. I'm sorry to disappoint everyone. But NEXT week, that will be one very long email! So stay with me, I promise things will get better!

Take care, I love you all

Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment