Friday, August 6, 2010

My First Transfer Comes to an End

The picture is of me and Sister Hardy, she's the bomb. She does anything and everything for the Elders, she even does our laundry for us! She'd for sure be part of the Mormon BBQ crew :) the other is of me and the two Canadians, Elder Lybbert is the tall one with Elder Barnett in the middle.

Dear Family and Friends,
I'm down to my last week of the transfer, huzzah!!! It's flown by, the Summer is already coming to an end, what the?!? I've done a ton of growing up I feel. The biggest thing I've worked on so far is my pride. I HATE asking people for help, and I hate getting freebies and hand-outs from people. I'd much rather do things on my own and hold it all in, rather than asking for help. My teaching I felt was lacking, I didn't think I was doing a good job, and I was extremely frustrated with myself. I finally got so tired of it I talked to my companion and district leader about it. I'm glad I did, at the time I didn't like and I felt dumb. But I realize a mission is hard, and you're not gonna know what to do exactly your first couple of weeks out. I think I'm a pretty patient person, with all the cancer stuff I went through I have no problem waiting on others and keeping my cool. But I need to have more patience with myself, and I'm finally starting to get some.
Tough week this one was with everything else. Still rocking the bike, my butt is killing me! Haha but it's getting easier, I'm more comfortable with it. A few people that were on date for baptism are going through hard times, financially speaking. It's frustrating not being able to do anything about it. Other than that the week was just blah, a few new investigators, gray skies, just nothing really exciting. BUT there's always tomorrow, and August is going to be amazing, West Valley is the best, I love this area. Yes, it's flippin ghetto, but I'm from Lakewood, I love ghetto! I'm excited to be here another transfer, the work is gonna continue to go!
the highlight of the week, however, is definitely one of my favorite memories of the mission so far. Sunday was Fast Sunday of course, and so people were able to get up and share their testimonies at the pulpit. Brother Grace, this black convert from Brooklyn who just got sealed in the temple to his wife last week, got up to give his testimony. He gave us a brief bio of his life at the beginning: "My momma was on the rock, and addicted to crack. I'm a crack baby...." Yes, he said crack baby! Oh geesh, I never thought I'd hear those words in church, and then it reminded me of the movie Mean Girls, "Say crack again. Crack"! Oh how I wanted to laugh. Brother Grace is the man, he helps us out a lot, he was even Rico's fellow-shipper.
I've developed a couple of addictions here on the mission. For starters, I buy and drink guava juice likes it's water. I can't help it, it's so good. Music has taken a new meaning. I am in love with Paul Cardell's version of"What do you do in the summertime", and then you throw in EFY music, game over. 2004 stand in the light is the favorite right now, track 4, the violin one...oh yeah. I heard a hip hop song today. The car next to us on the road was blasting "Hotel Romm Service" by Pitbull. It's a song I danced a lot to back at school, but when I heard it I thought, "Oh gosh, it's that dang rap music". I completely surprised myself with that. Listening to Mo-Tab music and EFY, saying flippin, I'm turning in to a Utard!!!
Elder Lybbert went home yesterday. Side note for miss Sarah Porter. Elder Lybbert was taught by Jayce in the MTC, he had pictures and I freaked out when I saw "Brother Porter" in some of them. I would think Jayce would remember him, and others like Elder Watt and Stevens! But back to the story, it was sad seeing him leave, and it'll be even sadder saying bye to Elder Barnett.
We should be having some baptisms in the next couple of weeks, hopefully I can send some pictures. I didn't think I would write long emails on the mission, but looking at this one...I guess I do have a lot to say! Haha, I guess I really do miss my family and friends, not so bad that I'm not focused, but I thought it would be easy to be away from everyone for two years. Being smack dab in Utah doesn't help that though! I want everyone to know that I love you all, I love hearing about what's going on in the outside world, and I'm so grateful for all the prayers coming my way!

Thanks for everything,
Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment