Thursday, December 2, 2010

So this is Christmas!

It is finally December, oh Hallelujah! This past week has been a doozy. Let us start off with Thanksgiving. The meals were wonderful, all three of them. I took pictures but don't have my camera with me. Today my zone had breakfast at the mission home with President and Sister Winn. Our zone won the competition Thanksgiving night to contact as many people as possible, so we were rewarded with a hot meal! So yeah, kind of a rush out the door today and forgot to grab the camera, maybe I will get a member to send some pictures home later this week.
Before our meals, we played in the turkey bowl, it was a blast. The snow was a foot deep, but we all persevered through it. Not to brag, but I caught a touchdown pass and had two interceptions, so pat on the back for me! Hahaha but that's not the most exciting part of the day. Afterward the eight of us missionaries who played football wanted to do some more, we all still had a few hours until our dinners started. So we went to a chapel in the West Valley Stake to play basketball. You know how well missionaries and basketball go together. Elder Burkard went up for a rebound and came down hard. He was injured...injured bad. He tore multiple ligaments in his ankle. He has a nice cast on his leg, and gets around on crutches these days. But alas, they gave us a car to drive around in. Great, I hate driving already, now I have to do it in the snow and ice! I don't mind too much, it gives me a chance to listen to my Christmas music! Needless to say things have been slow due to the injury. We went to the doctor's the next day and that's where he got his cast, so our day and part of our evening was gone. The doctors also told him to rest his foot and keep it elevated for 2-3 days. Well, we had our baptism Saturday and then church Sunday, so he didn't rest, and so Monday, Tuesday, and part of Wednesday became rest days. I was bummed, there was nothing we could do about it, but still, I hated staying inside. Oh well.
Our baptism was solid. The lady we baptized will make a great member. The bishop of the ward baptized her, and Elder Burkard and I gave the talks. Other missionaries were there with investigators, and she had many family members there. We are now targeting our favorite investigator, who we got married, and are now trying to get him off of cigarettes. We've known him for months, and he is really making progress. We also are striving hard to get this family of four to progress. They are really nice and kind to us, I have good feelings about them.
Right now I am trying my best to stay focused and finish strong here in the Granger Stake. I don't think I will have a better area. The members here are amazing. It will be hard, with Elder Burkard's ankle and all, but I know I can have multiple baptisms lined up for the month of December. Even if I am not here when the baptisms occur, I know it will be a great experience for whoever comes and takes my place. People get caught up in numbers around here. The Salt Lake mission is one of the highest baptizing missions in the world, so yeah, if you are not baptizing, your leaders are going to be on you. For me, I know I have worked hard, and I haven't had as many baptisms as I would like, but oh well, I have learned a ton and am happy with where I am at right now.
These first six months have flown by. A mission really does do that, and I am realizing that now. So what have I learned this first quarter as my time as a missionary? I have always had pride issues, comparing myself to the success of others and wishing I could do the same. I worry a lot about things I can't control or get caught up in thinking about the future and what I will do with life, which stresses me out, even though I try not to show it. I try and be chill and easy-going, but inside I struggle and worry. I think these things have been the biggest change in me. I don't have to do things on my own, and I'm alright with that. I can ask for help, and often seek it from those who are having success. For a while I was worried about school and what my career should be. I thought about transferring to Utah, and leaving BYU. I thought a great deal about what I wanted to do for a career and I stressed myself out over it. Now, I don't care anymore. I'll stick with BYU, and when I get back, whatever happens happens. I have no idea what I want to be in life, but for now, that's ok. I'm a smart kid, I know Heavenly Father will point me in the right direction and everything will work out.
I can't begin to imagine what it will be like in another six months, but that's in the future, and I won't worry about that right now :)
Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment