Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Door Slams and All

The past week was very enjoyable for me. We met many anti-mormons, who threw all kinds of things at us. My companion, being new and all, got his first door slammed in his face. In the missionary field, missionaries like to refer to trainers as "fathers" and those missionaries they train as "sons". Also, when they speak of one's first assigned area, they will ask, "Where were you born?" or, "where did you come out of the womb?" Well, that never flew with me. When people ask me who my father is I reply, "John Warczak, heck of a man I tell ya! Oh, you mean who trained me, that would be Elder Barnett!" "Where was I born? Palmdale, Los Angeles County, California, May of 1989. OH! You mean where did I start my mission...Granger Stake." It's just weird to me to refer to Elder Kodama as my "son" and myself as his "father". With that said, the door slam was definitely one of those moments where I thought, "He's growing up, his first door slam!" It was precious. He was kind of upset about it for awhile. Don't worry Elder Kodama...that's only the beginning! HA!

We should be having a baptism this weekend. Perhaps two! They are the two solid people we have, everyone else we know of is still in the early stages of embracing the Gospel. This week is leadership training. Those are always eventful. 

The picture is yours truly with Joseph Freeman, the first black man after President's Kimball's 1978 announcement that all worthy males could hold the priesthood. He spoke in the half-way house branch we cover. He said it himself, he went to New York and spoke on Good Morning America as the first black with the priesthood in the Mormon church. He is an amazing speaker, I was enthralled by every word he uttered. 

That's the week, tons of opposition. Nothing I haven't heard before. "Joseph Smith's a fraud, con, temples and masons, polygamy", all the same old same old. My testimony still stands, I love to declare it to them and see them think I'm crazy. Even Jesus Christ was rejected, that's what I tell myself as I walk away from someone like that. Even He.

One plus one is two, the sky is blue, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true. 'Nuff said.

Love,
Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment