Monday, September 19, 2011

Paint the Town Red...Ute Red


Man, things closed down for the work Saturday. Everyone knows I attend BYU, and boy did I hear it on Sunday. Good thing I'm on a mission and could care less about sports right now.
 
We are having a baptism this Saturday, for our new friend from Africa. The ward has really helped him become acquainted with everything, and he is excited. We also have a Native American man scheduled for baptism on October 15th. He likes certain parts of his culture and their beliefs, but many parts he is confused on and does not accept. His wife is a member, and he feels that our meeting him at this point in his life is exactly what God wanted. He is excited for baptism as well, and even more excited about making it to the temple one day to be sealed with his family for time and eternity.
 
Things have cooled down, temperature wise and also with the missionary efforts. I'm trying to stay upbeat about it, I can always improve in one area or another, so miracles will come as I continually strive to become better. I still get along with the companion, I'm trying to get him to do more know and to overcome his fears of talking and teaching. It will be frustrating, I definitely am a "do it myself" person. I know, however, that for both of us we will make leaps and bounds in our progression. Wish me luck, baptisms may come slowly, but right now, my concern is to help this young missionary, who is still struggling socially to the mission, and no one is better at the social aspect of the work than Elder Warczak, I love to talk!
 
I am preparing for general conference. I have many questions to be answered and qualities of my life to alter to align myslef more with my Heavenly Father and His will. You get out of conference what you put into it, just like anything else. If you wake up, roll out of bed, and into the living room two mintues before conference starts, you're cutting yourself short. It only happens twice a year, might as well make it count :)
 
This past week the mission began reading the Book of Mormon again. I am amazed by the insights I see as I read. As I talk to many people that have hard feelings against the church, it blows me away how many of them have never read the Book of Mormon. Oh they'll say they have, but when you ask them a simple question such as, "Who's Nephi? What's one thing he did in the Book of Mormon?" None of them can answer. Truthfully, if you want to know if the LDS church is true or not, just read the Book of Mormon. So many I talk with get their information from places like youtube, very intelligent wouldn't you say?
 
We attended the temple today, what a priviledge it is. I hear many negative comments about the temple throughout the week, how it's a place of evil and full of pagan worship. Not so. The feelings of peace and clarity that come as I enter therein can only come from God. I hope those of us that can attend the temple do it often, I'm making sure after the mission that the temple is a top priority for my life.
 
Enough of my own conference talk, hopefully I didn't bore any of you. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God, and President Thomas S. Monson is the prophet today! There we go. Take care, I love you all and pray for your safety daily.
 
Love,
 
Elder Scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment