Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I'm From Lakewood, Elder...this is Nothing!

This past week, as we were leaving the note on an investigator's door, a bunch of trucks and suv's were pulling up across the street one by one. The property across the street is a compound, this area we were in is more farm-like, with cattle all around. All of a sudden, police jump out of all the vehicles and swarm the compound. Guns drawn and all sorts of yelling going on. As my companion is ready to wet himself and tells me we need to get out of here, I stand in awe and say, "COOL!" As he looked at me confused I reminded him of my upbringing, "I'm from Lakewood, we're on the show COPS every week, this is nothing." 

Wonderful, just spectacular things have happened this past week. We have four people on date for baptism. Two of them are so elect, I think they should be teaching me. One man in particular is from Togo, Africa. He's been here a few months and is living with family members, who are all members of the church already. He accepted baptism the first night we met him, and on Sunday he leaned over to me and asked if he could go up and share his testimony, since it was fast and testimony meeting, or if you had to be a member to do so. As I told him he could, a few minutes later he walked up there and gave a simple yet powerful testimony of the Savior and how good he felt being there at church. 

Our mission is struggling. We only had 20 baptisms last week. The goal of 3,000 for the year is still reachable, but every companionship needs to be baptizing each week. I'm definitely up for the challenge, but I'm making sure the people I help baptize are ready, none of this meet them, teach them everything in one week, and baptize them the next Saturday when they haven't met anybody at church. No no, that will not do. Quantity AND quality as Elder Ballard puts it!

Every thing else is just peachy. The weather is cooling down, I have people to teach, conference is coming up, there's nothing to complain about. Yesterday during preparation day we went to the Gateway Mall, which is in our zone. I'll tell you, if you want people to stare you down and avoid you like a plague, slap on a missionary name tag and white shirt and tie and you got it! BOY was it weird, I don't plan on going there anytime soon during the next 9 months, nooo way!

Love,

Elder Scotty

1 comment:

  1. Ok so when I said every week I meant it. I could have sworn I made it in time. Sorry about that buddy. Sounds like things are going well for you. That is so cool how your investigator got up and bore his testimony. Sounds golden to me. When things like that happen that just goes to show you that you are doing things right. Way to be Elder.

    Thanks for the letter. Dani enjoyed it. She threatened not letting me read it for a few hours because it was addressed to her and not me. It was good to hear from you. And I enjoyed the army man. I've missed him lately.

    Things are good on my end. Just school and work. Life is boring post mission (minus the whole married to Dani part) so live it up. It will be weird when you go to the mall after your mish and people DON'T stare at you. If I were you I would keep going haha. Good luck this next week and keep being awesome. But then again you're Elder Scotty Freakin' Warczak, how could you not? Take it easy!

    -Pete

    ReplyDelete