Monday, October 10, 2011

See Ya Salt Lake City

 No no no, I am not in Wyoming (prayers are answered!) BUT! I am now serving in the Tooele and Tooele East Stakes! We cover over 10 wards. Quite the change of scenery wouldn't you say? I went from serving in between mountains, to serving IN the mountains. We cover a good chunk of Tooele, and the towns of Stockton and Vernon to the south. Well let me tell you, I think Tooele is heaven on earth. It's so open, and quiet. At night I can see stars! The people here have treated us like royalty, they are very missionary minded. Every Bishop and member we have spoken with has given us names and people the wards are working with. They understand that missionary work is a team effort, and I couldn't be more excited! We came into the area with 5 people on date for baptism, two of them are this upcoming Saturday! My favorite area so far has been Stockton, it is a very, very small town. Houses are well spaced out, and at night, it's dead quiet, but the views are breathtaking. I can definitely stay here a long time, no problem.

 
My new trainee is Elder Owen, from Anchorage, Alaska. He is a very tall young man, standing at 6 foot 6 inches. He hunts and fishes and all that good stuff. He is awesome! I don't feel like I'm training, he came pre-trained. He talks to people, he knows how to explain faith to people, I don't have to do anything with him! We will have a great deal of success here.
 
Some interesting people to report on here in Tooele. We met a 97 year old woman in the ward in which we live named Maxine Grimm. She lives up on the side of a mountain in a enormous house. She was instrumental in bringing the Gospel to the Phillipines. There, with her husband Colonel Grimm, knew very well General Macarthur and General Eisenhower. While there in the late 40's she met President Hinckley, and they became very good friends the rest of their lives. She has many pictures of her and President Hinckley together. He would come to Tooele ofen and visit with her and bring his family. The pictures were taken there at the house. Yes, I was standing and sitting in the same living room President Hinckley had sat in many many times! She knows personally all the older apostles, and goes downtown to visit them in their offices. This is perhaps, the coolest old person I've ever met, her life beats the heck out of mine!
 
Historical fact for you: Heber J. Grant was the second stake president of Tooele, he was called when he was in his early 20's.
 
Also, the parents of Miss Utah live in my area, her dad is one of the bishops. Yeah...not as exciting as the things reported above, but it's still something :)
 
I assume I will be here for 2 or 3 transfers, so by the time I make it back over to Salt Lake I'll be wrapping up the mission, whoah!
 
Not too much on the spiritual side of things, so far we've just been meeting with leadership trying to figure out both stakes, but with the support of members and investigators already lined up, I know miracles will happen and I'll continue to become the person my God needs me to be. Enjoy the pictures, I'll be taking tons out here.
 
I love you all,
 
Elder Scotty

Yanick and I, the young man from Togo, Africa we baptized a few weeks ago.
The King Family, some of my favorite members I've met on the mission!
 A few of the elders I lived with and Sister Kitchen outside her home in West Valley. I lived with Sister Kitchen for 6 months, we have a very good relationship! I'll definitely be kicking it with her after the mission.
The views of part of my area at the top of a mountain....How lovely it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment